Can you explain the difference between a Jurat and an Acknowledgment?
Acknowledgment - An acknowledgment is used when the signer agrees with the statement of the document and signs the document. The wording on the certificate states " acknowledged before me..."
Acknowledgments are used when one or more persons agree with another one or more people.
Jurat - A jurat is used when the signer is swearing to the content of the document. The notary must administer an oath or affirmation to the signer in order to complete the jurat. The wording on the certificate states “Subscribed and sworn to before me…” – subscribed meaning “signed” and sworn meaning that an oral oath or affirmation was given.
Jurats are used when one person is telling the world something. Such as a Will or Power of Attorney
In my next post I will talk about the steps for both.
I am hoping that you are not making these mistakes. Here is a list of some you may or may not know are mistakes.
- placing your seal/stamp over words
- placing your seal/stamp where you see the words "seal" which is meant for the principals signature not your seal
- using a smudgy seal
- not giving the Oath every time you notarize loan documents or when required by the certificate
- not being at the table at the time of the appointment
- not being available to fix your mistakes or to answer questions from the company that hired you or the mortgage company after the assignment. Keep in mind if the documents to not arrive on time you will receive a call asking for the tracking number. I am now listing the tracking number on my log book page.
- use your log book every time
- follow directions. This is not hard so why is it not being done? Read your directions carefully and highlight everything you are asked to do.
- What color ink
- extra printing
- pages to be initialed
- the I can't believe is being rude. How do you plan on being in business long if you are rude to the people that hire you or their customers?
Every so often you need to review the Notary Public laws so that you stay in compliance. I have a web site set up for that it is www.NotaryDirect.com
A lot of you have asked what to charge. So here is a base to start with.
Pricing Recommendations For Beginners. 0-500 signings
- Basic Signing $60-$80
- E-Documents (Printing): $10-$25 extra per double set or 7 cents per page
- Pickups (if you pickup the docs, no printing): $25 extra
- Drop offs (deliver docs to...): $20 extra — there is less waiting time during drop offs
- Reverse Mortgages: $100
- Piggy Backs (2 loans at the same time): $100
Pricing Recommendations for Intermediates. 500-3000 signings
- Basic Signing: $80-$120
- E-Documents: $20-$40 or 10 cents per page
- Pickups: $30 extra
- Drop offs: $25 extra
- Reverse Mortgages: $125
- Piggy Backs: $125
I hope this will give you a starting point. Of course if the assignment is after hours, further then 30 miles, or on Sunday we charge more.
Are you a notary with loan doc signing experience? (click here)
We are always looking to add full-time professional loan document signers (& especially former escrow officers) to join our network of PROFESSIONAL signing agents. Take a look at what we are offering and how we do business. Sorry, we are not considering entrant mobile notaries with limited experience for our network.
IF YOU HAVE LESS THAN ONE YEAR OF LOAN DOC SIGNING EXPERIENCE, PLEASE DO NOT APPLY.
Check them out they pay in 21 days or so their web site states. You will also be covered by their $1 million E & O policy.
NotaryAct.com - Online notary log book
MileageIQ - A cell phone app for tracking your miles.
Share your best tools.
With the millennial wanting everything NOW, 2017 is going to bring some changes. First E-Closing is going to take off. This may be a good time to become an E-Notary if you are not one already. The mortgage industry is changing. New companies like Rocket Mortgage are speeding up the process of approvals and income verification.
Investor are seeing this change and putting their money into companies that are setting up for this change. I hope your eyes are open I do not want you blindsided. Become an E-Notary to make sure you are ready when they are.
Hello and welcome to 2017, I have noticed that Signing Agents fees have gone down. This could be due to companies like SnapDocs and NotarySerch.
I recommend you stick to your guns. Fees of $100 for a Refinance is appropriate. I would add to your fee for fax backs, documents over 150 pages, after hours, Sundays, holidays and distance.
Have a great year.
I use Google Voice for my Signing Business. With Google Voice I know when to answer the phone with "Hello" and when to answer professionally. Here is how to set it up:
Go to Google.com. If you have an account with Google sign in if not set up an account.
Then in the top right corner you will see a bunch of dots. Click on them. At the bottom of the pop up box is a link to more. On the new pop up box at the bottom click on even more. On this page drag down. In the left column about half way down you will see Voice. Click on it. You want a new phone number. Follow the prompts. Once it is set up click on setting wheel. Click on the Calls tab. Next to Caller ID (incoming) mark Display my Google Voice number.
Now go to your cell phone and save your new number as Signings. This way when your phone rings you will know it is a Signing Company calling.
When ever you sign up with a company use your google voice number so that when they call you will know how to answer your phone.
New in August is the combining of the Good Faith Estimate and the TILA into a new document called the New Loan Estimate.
Also, the HUD-1 and the Final TILA will be combined into the New Closing Disclosure.
Here is a sample of the new forms New Closing Disclosure and new loan estimate
This is found in the National Notary Association Notary Bulletin please read!!
Mobile Notary nightmare